linhtalinhtinh

Linhtalinhtinh

The Houses of History: A Critical Reader in Twentieth-Century History and Theory
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
Bill Watterson
The Complete Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi I like this one much more than [b:Maus|15195|Maus|Art Spiegelman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327354180s/15195.jpg|1658562].

I read this book on a night train, going to do some travelling all by myself. I wonder this is part of the reason that I find this book so real and so connected: being in a foreign country. Well, that's the only common trait. My home country is a communist one, there is limited freedom compared to the West, but it's far from being oppressive and fanatical as Iran was during that time described in the book. The author was also much much younger when she spent time abroad by herself. 14 years old I was practically a babe, knowing nothing about history, demonstration, rebels, war, etc., nothing.

The book teaches us a lot. It talks about Iranian history, its culture and religion. It sure talks about the turmoil in Iran, the repressive atmosphere, the unbearable misogyny, the ridiculous regulations and fanatical members of state. It talks about Marjane's experiences as a foreigner in Vienna: the clash of cultures, of civilizations. It talks about her growth, so real.

But more important than everything, it talks about people and how they tried to deal with the situation. There were various responses and they are all very real. The best thing about Persepolis is its voice: brutally honest. No matter when, from being a naive kid to a mature adult, she keeps telling all her intimate thoughts with such an honesty. She is sure smart, and witty, which I love. A serious story but not overly so. She keeps it as light as it can be for a comic book, and yet its meaning is dense and moving. And of course there is this attitude, this rebellious attitude of her that I so admire. A crucial factor in her life is her family, and she has an amazing one who gives her all the freedom and support.