linhtalinhtinh

Linhtalinhtinh

The Houses of History: A Critical Reader in Twentieth-Century History and Theory
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
Bill Watterson
Lord of Emperors (The Sarantine Mosaic, Book II) - Guy Gavriel Kay I do not always understand why some characters ended up doing some certain things. This book, or more accurately this duology, sometimes, does not make sense to me at all. 3.5 stars, just like [b:A Song for Arbonne|104085|A Song for Arbonne|Guy Gavriel Kay|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1309212350s/104085.jpg|2498881], where I find the plots not grand and profound enough to contain all of their wonderful, multifaceted characters.

A central theme in The Sarantine Mosaic is man's desire to turn their name immortal in world history. These powerful kings, queens, emperors and empresses made great empires, sought to expand and reconquer their territory, and certainly sponsored great arts.

And so perhaps that is why some last chapters of this book touched me so much. I was hardly angered by people's evil deeds (mostly just felt extremely sad and much pity), but I was enraged by ignorant fools who destroyed beautiful creations of arts. I did tremble, which was rare. I guess Kay did get it right, some parts of artists' hearts.