linhtalinhtinh

Linhtalinhtinh

The Houses of History: A Critical Reader in Twentieth-Century History and Theory
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
Bill Watterson
Whistling Vivaldi: How Stereotypes Affect Us and What We Can Do - Claude M. Steele Whistling Vilvadi is a wonderfully written non-fiction. Its voice is moving, but level headed, honest, proud yet humble. Its overall messages and lessons, as summarized in the last chapter of the book, are not that ground shaking, but still impressive as ever, since they are built upon careful research over decades of work of the author himself and dozens of others. Some may be bored by these meticulous tellings, but not me. All experiments are carefully explained in methodology, but more importantly, in implications and applications. It is what makes this book powerful, it shows how and what we can actually do with "stereotype threat" especially in education.

The book discusses several types of stereotypes, though it mainly focuses on black & white, and female and male stereotypes. Still, Prof. Steele also shows how other stereotypes of various kinds can exist as well, how fluid identities are, how a very minor difference can cause issues, and how a very tiny deviation can make positive changes. Sadly, stereotype is a fact and it is much more present that we thought. We are not consciously prejudiced, not intentionally discriminating, or we are sometimes not aware that we are being put under stereotype threats. But the threat is there, everywhere. Once again, readers are reminded of how powerful history is, how it leaves profound marks. Yet, the book offers hope, the hope that the present and the future are moving to a better position to understand and to change for the better.