linhtalinhtinh

Linhtalinhtinh

The Houses of History: A Critical Reader in Twentieth-Century History and Theory
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
Bill Watterson
You Had Me At Hello - Mhairi McFarlane I don't know why I pick this book. Well, maybe because after talking with my big sis and listening to her blabbling about her generation, slightly older than mine. The book turns out to be a really good one, in fact, a rare non-fantasy-non-kid-lit that I have no hesitation giving it 4 stars, and maybe even 5 if after a while - after I'm properly grown up and in a better position to compare it with real experiences.

Still, to my limited experience at the moment, I find all of the book very believable and learn a good deal from it. No dramatization, well, maybe there is, but no over-dramatization. So credible are the characters and their behaviors that I feel so strongly attached to them. You know, there are books when you feel like you're living in it. They are fictions where things are made as realistic as possible, as if they were true. You feel entering into another world. This book is... not like that. The world in it and the one outside it are the same. And it's the reason that I'm having a shitty morning today, thinking and thinking. It's definitely not a sad ending, from which I will stay away. The problem is that I cannot easily separated myself from the book like what I did with others - them I'll just go through a door and close it but this one there is no fucking door, which is nice and not nice at the same time.(Or maybe I just happen to be in the mood, not completely sure)

Well, there is one part of the story that strikes me deeply. it's when when one of Rach's friends talked about ages and maturity, sth like, you'd think 30s would be the time when you would become so mature, so calm, so understanding of life. But the fact is that 20s is the time we start to try to figure out what's right, and 30s is when we just "maybe" know what's right. I guess I always know that, know we can be fool no matter how old we are. But only then that I really realize how utterly frustrated it is.

It's not easy at all. It never is. Living I mean. Things are not black and white and you cannot circle an answer among five in a test to end the frustration. The book as a whole is a struggle to find out what the hell we're doing, what we did and what we're going to do. In the end everything is finally resolved, which makes me feel so relieved after such intensity. Still, the real question it poses is: what if in real life there's no resolution (which is usually the case)? It's so very easy to take a wrong step. Not outright wrong ones, but just slightly off. And that's enough to lead to an unsatisfied life.

It sounds all so trite, I know. Read the book to feel the full impact.