linhtalinhtinh

Linhtalinhtinh

The Houses of History: A Critical Reader in Twentieth-Century History and Theory
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
Bill Watterson
A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan Innovative.

This is one of the few adult books that I am in love with. The theme of the book (music, technology, the loss of youth, the merciless flow of time) along with such an original, face-book like approach knock me down completely.

The book is divided into chapters. Each chapter takes the viewpoint of a different person in a different time frame. Each has very unique voice and unique story to tell. The lives of a handful of people intertwined. Time period jumps spontaneously back and forth between past, present, and the fictional future. The medium of each chapter varies as well, some are told as story simply in first, third person, one is written as an article, one is as a presentation (WHAT is that?). There are a lot more to tell but one has to really have the book in hand to understand very subtle differences, very secretive foreshadows, the very connections between seemingly unrelated characters.

It is so clever, so charming in every single detail that I was soaked into it, kept referring back to previous pages to recall names, events, and then, pleasedly, moving to the new pages to enjoy the unpredictability.