linhtalinhtinh

Linhtalinhtinh

The Houses of History: A Critical Reader in Twentieth-Century History and Theory
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
Bill Watterson
Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap...And Others Don't - Jim Collins I read this book with the hope that it would be absolutely revealing, eye-opening, inspiring...

I was wrong.

I guess I'll put this book under the same category as "The Tipping Point." (I DESPISE that book, so please if you like Malcom Gladwell, refrain from reading this review). While there are some stories worth mentioning, the overall idea/theory/principle behind is far from striking. The author tries so hard to put a new label for each principal. No matter how much he claims that their book is pulling from empirical evidence, I just don't feel it. In many degrees, these principles are conventional to me, it's just we are not always reminded of them. Thanks for pointing them out clearly, but please do not do it too... much, too desperately, calling them astonishing.

Level 5 leadership, putting the right people in the right bus, stockdale paradox, etc. whatever. They are good ideas to present, but they are not that extraordinary. The author does not have to yell so hard: we find this, it's new, it's remarkable, it completely blows my mind away. Nope. Sorry. It disappoints me greatly.

And probably, I really hate the writing that emphasizes over and over again a phrase through out each chapter: "confronting the brutal facts" appears like every other line in the third chapter (Ok, I exaggerate a bit, but I kinda get annoyed by this style), and similarly with the rest of the book. Oh please!!!

Still, 1.5 stars for the book's effort, and for some insights into the transitions of over ten corps in U.S. But again, not the type of insights that are useful to me...