linhtalinhtinh

Linhtalinhtinh

The Houses of History: A Critical Reader in Twentieth-Century History and Theory
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
Bill Watterson
Dirty Little Secret - Jennifer Echols Warning: I am not exactly a big fan of young adult genre and have not read that many, except for some fantasy that can be categorized as young adult as well. I am quite a nerd myself and am not sure how young people behave normally, so excuse me and you are welcome to enlighten me.

I received this book from Goodreads Giveaways. I suppose giveaways present some good chances for all of us to gain exposure to new books and new genres. So here it is, a young adult (contemporary?) romance. Some people shelved it as realistic fiction as well, also as chick-lit. Yes, great exposure *sigh*.

I am perplexed *blink*. A bit dumbfounded. I tried hard, real hard, to make sense of the whole story and its characters, yet simply could not. I tried to solicit a single, no matter how trivial, meaningful message, but found none.

I think character building is of utmost importance in young adult books, since it is all what the genre is about: exploring the young self, learning its goods and bads, coming to terms with it and growing up. Yet, in this book, character building is... no, I could not find a right adjective. The book still makes me feel very unintelligent, since I could not understand any character. Some are one dimensional (Bailey's parents and grandparent), some do not function, are completely superfluous (Julie? , Bailey's so-called ex-bf and friends in highschool - they are bad, the book says, Bailey's makeup artist - why does she have to be there, to make it feel more like a book about music and gigs?), mostly are totally confusing (the rest, which I means all main characters). Perhaps my role as a reader is to fill in the blank and imagine for myself so that everyone becomes well rounded?

Ok, there is some random conversation: you have to live for yourself, your parents are wrong, you will succeed (to Bailey), you have to overcome the past and your family situation(to Sam), blah blah blah, bull sh*t bull sh*t bull sh*t. I could not figure exactly after all what Bailey's problem is, what Sam's problem is, what and how exactly they dealt with themselves emotionally: what they learned, how much they actually reflected and examined themselves and their past and their "scars." How deep are these scars? They are said to be great, the book says. THe book never focuses on a specific issue, never even expresses it clearly not to mention to deal with it satisfactorily. One thing jumps to another, by chance. All problems present themselves and then disappear. Oh, by the way, why did Bailey love Sam so much?

I then suddenly thought. Oh, was the message about how confusing this world is, things never make sense? Boom! Sh*t, and in the end they are still all happy and successful? NICE.

On the other hand, if all you care about is a romance in which cute boy and pretty girl finally get together and pretty girl overcomes all her obstacles and magically (no matter how unreasonably) has all what she wants, with some makeout sessions as bonus, then this is perhaps a decent read? The writing is not so bad, just the story line is unbelievably horrible.

This book is not even worth 1 star. I feel bad for my other one stars.